Col. James R. DeVere is the Commander of the 302nd Airlift Wing, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado The wing is comprised of more than 1,300 Air Force Reserve members and is equipped with eight C-130H3 aircraft. The wing trains and employs the C-130 Hercules globally on medium range airlift, tactical airland and airdrop, Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System, and Aeromedical Evacuation missions.
Colonel DeVere was commissioned through Officer Training School. He completed Undergraduate Pilot Training in 1991 at Vance AFB, Oklahoma. In 1995, Colonel DeVere became an Air Reserve Technician at Willow Grove Air Reserve Station, Pennsylvania He has deployed in support of Operations Volant Oak, Restore Hope, Coronet Oak, Uphold Democracy, Provide Comfort II, Noble Eagle, Joint Forge, Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Colonel DeVere has served more than 26 years in the Air Force Reserve as an instructor pilot, evaluator pilot, director of operations, deputy operations group commander and commander.
1986 Bachelor of Science degree in Earth and Space Science, East Stroudsburg University, Pa.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 Master of Arts degree in Military Studies, American Military University, Charles Town, W.Va.
1. May 1990 - May1991, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. June 1991 - June 1995, C-130E pilot, 327th Airlift Squadron, Willow Grove, Pa.
3. June 1995 - March 1998, C-130E instructor pilot, scheduler and flight training officer, 327th Airlift Squadron, Willow Grove, Pa.
4. March 1998 – January 2001, C-130E instructor pilot, Chief of Current Operations, 913th Operations Group, Willow Grove, Pa.
5. January 2001 – May 2004, Chief of Safety, 913th Airlift Wing, Willow Grove, Pa.
6. May 2004 - January 2007, Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 913th Operations Group, Willow Grove, Pa.
7. January 2007 - April 2009, Director of Operations, 731st Airlift Squadron, Peterson, AFB, Colo.
8. April 2009 - July 2013, Deputy Commander, 302nd Operations Group, Peterson AFB, Colo.
9. Aug 2013 - April 2016, Commander, 94th Operations Group, Dobbins ARB, Ga.
10. April 2016 - present, Commander, 302nd Airlift Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo.
Rating: Command pilot
Flight hours: More than 5,900
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, C-130E/H2/H3
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
AF Outstanding Unit Award with Valor Device and three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with five oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Iraq Campaign Medal with bronze star
Global War On Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and oak leaf cluster
AF Longevity Service with two oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with four 'M' Devices and hourglass
AF Training Ribbon
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant April, 24 1990
First Lieutenant October 5, 1992
Captain August 10, 1995
Major May 11, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel August 4, 2007
Colonel March 12, 2014
(Current as of April 2016)