Colonel Preston McFarren is the Commander of the 953rd Reserve Support Squadron at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, supporting the Joint Enabling Capabilities Command and the Joint Staff at Hampton Roads.
Colonel McFarren earned his Air Force commission in 1991 as a graduate of the Reserve Officer Training Corps from the University of Texas at Austin.
A career logistician, Colonel McFarren has in served in logistics and readiness in a number of positions. He began his career in in February 1992. He transitioned from active duty to the Air Force Reserve in August 2002. In 2007, he ran the Department of Defense’s busiest aerial port operation at Balad, Iraq and served as the director of logistics for the Combined Forces Special Operations Component Command in Kabul, Afghanistan from August 2009 to March 2010. He left command in July 2011 and was selected to service as the deputy commander, 433rd Mission Support Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, Texas, until assuming his current position in May 2015.
1991 Bachelor of Arts Degree in Government, The University of Texas at Austin
1996 Squadron Officer’s School, Maxwell AFB, AL
2000 Master of Arts Degree in Management (w/ Honors), Webster University
2006 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2014 Air War College by correspondence
1. 1992-1993 Flight Commander, Vehicle Operations, 28th Transportation Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
2. 1993-1994 Flight Commander, Combat Readiness, 28th Transportation Squadron, Ellsworth AFB, S.D.
3. 1994-1995 Flight Commander, Air Freight, 3d Aerial Port Squadron, Pope AFB, Texas
4. 1995-1997 Operations Officer, 3d Aerial Port Squadron, Pope AFB, N.C.
5. 1997-2000 Asst. Chief, Trans Div., HQ Joint Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, N.C.
6. 2000-2001 Operations Officer, 324th Training Squadron, Lackland AFB, Texas
7. 2001-2002 Flight Commander, STAN/EVAL, 737th Training Group, Lackland AFB, Texas
8. 2003-2011 Commander, 26th Aerial Port Squadron, JBSA – Lackland AFB, Texas
9. 2011-2015 Deputy Commander, 433d Mission Support Group, JBSA – Lackland AFB, Texas
10. 2015- Present Commander, 953d Reserve Support Squadron, Naval Station Norfolk, Va.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. 1997-2000 Asst. Chief, Trans Div., HQ Joint Special Operations Command, Ft. Bragg, N.C.
2. 2009-2010 Director of Logistics, Combined Forces Special Operations Component Command, Kabul, Afghanistan
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with Gold Border
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with four oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with one device
Iraq Campaign Medal with one device
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
Air Force Oversees Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border and oak leaf cluster
Air Force Longevity Service with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with two “M” devices
Air Force Training Ribbon
NATO Medal with one device
Parachute Rigger Badge
Rating: Basic Parachutist
Number of Jumps: 31
Aircraft Used: C-130, C-141, MC-130P, MH-60, UH-60, DH-6, Casa 212
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant – 1 Oct 1991
First Lieutenant – 1 Oct 1993
Captain – 1 Oct 1995
Major – 1 Jul 2002
Lieutenant Colonel – 14 Aug 2008
Colonel – 1 May 2015
Current as of: July 2015